We seek to entice artists of all 3D mediums to investigate and explore the potential of the jewelry box. What is a box? What makes a jewelry box different from any other box? Does a jewelry box have to have corners, hold many pieces or only one piece, have to be functional? What materials can be used to house jewelry? Is the box the jewel? Is the jewel a box?What makes your jewelry box special - the materials, the design, the craftsmanship?
For some historic perspective on the jewelry box, go to:
Juror Bio: GreenHill Director of Curatorial and Artistic programs Edie Carpenter has an art background deeply grounded in North Carolina art combined with far-reaching, international art experience. Her credentials include over thirty years of curatorial experience combined with academic and professional positions abroad. Carpenter holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history from Barnard College, Columbia University, New York, a European Masters degree in Museum Studies and New Media from Université de Lyon III, Lyon France. She taught for two years at the Université de Lyon and has given numerous lectures on contemporary art. She served as director of the Paris branch of the Zabriskie Gallery where she worked for ten years before returning to North Carolina to lead GreenHill’s exhibition program. She curates GreenHill’s annual Winter Show survey of art in all mediums and has produced over forty major exhibitions for the non-profit art space including eight retrospectives of North Carolina artists. She has guest curated exhibitions including Line, Touch, Trace at the North Carolina Museum of Art among others.
Submission opening date: June 21
Application Deadline: Aug 27
Notification of Accepted Work: Sept 3
Delivery of Work: Sept 21, 11 am - 6pm or Sept 22, 10am - 5pm
Exhibition on View: Sept 26 – Oct 26
Opening Reception & Award Ceremony: Sept 28, 6pm - 9pm
Pick up of Work: Oct 27, 10am-5pm or Oct 28, 1 - 5pm or Oct 29, 11am-6pm
To apply click on the APPLY button below or go to:
After completing your submission, click on the PAYMENT button below to pay entry fee.
Eligibility & Submission Instructions:
-To be eligible, artists must be 18 years of age or older, residing and creating in North Carolina, Virginia or South Carolina.
- Jewelry Boxes submitted for jurying must be 3 dimensional, be able to stand on their own on a table or pedestal without support, may be any medium that is not alive.
- Work may not exceed 18” in any direction and may not exceed 30lbs.
- Works will be chosen that show aesthetic excellence, mastery of the medium, creativity, and relevance.
- $30 for up to 2 entries
- Images submitted may include up to 2 views for each entry
- Label each digital entry as LastName_FirstName_Title_ViewNumber
- Each image must be a standard JPG format, 300dpi, no larger than 1500 pixels on the longest side, and not to exceed 3MB in file size.
-Artwork delivered for exhibition must be the same piece that was submitted for consideration & accepted.
-Cocoon Gallery reserves the right to (1) refuse any entry, (2) limit the number of accepted works per artist, (3) withdraw any work from the exhibition at its discretion.
- Cocoon Gallery takes every precaution in handling artwork during the exhibition period. Artists who wish to have their work insured during this time are responsible for such costs.
- Cocoon Gallery reserves the right to photograph submitted artwork and/or use applicant photographs and/or photograph the artists during the exhibition for educational, promotional or publicity purposes.
-All entries must be available and priced for sale.
-Artists set the price of the work and will a receive 60% commission of their work sold during the exhibition.
-Cocoon Gallery will retain 40% and will pay the sales tax.
-All sales shall be conducted by Cocoon Gallery.
-All sold items will remain in the exhibition until the show closing date.
- Artists are responsible for delivering accepted works to:
221 N Salem St, Suite 100
Apex, NC 27502
in person or via shipping on Sept 21 11am – 6pm or Sept 22 10am – 5pm.
- Artists must cover the cost of shipping, and insurance if desired
- Items must arrive with a removable paper label inside or on bottom listing Artists Name, Title and Price.
- If shipping items to the gallery please do not use packing peanuts
- Pick up or return shipping will take place on October 27 10am – 5pm, Oct 28 1-5pm or Oct 29 11am– 6pm.
- If you require the item to be returned via shipping
- include a UPS or Fedex prepaid label
or provide Cocoon Gallery with a prepaid label by the last day of the exhibition.
- write artist name & title on the inside of the box
- pack items in reusable packing and containers.
-Unsold artworks not picked up by the deadline
or for which no prepaid shipping label has been received become the property of
Cocoon Gallery unless prior arrangements have been made.
Focused on promoting local artisans of finely crafted wares and wearables, Cocoon Gallery is located in Historic Downtown Apex and features 40+ makers of ceramics, wood, textiles, jewelry and more. We believe in the transformative nature of art and seek to encourage community members to experience that transformation by using functional artwork in their daily lives.
or call 919-267-4321
with any questions or issues regarding the submission process.